Re: ftp not working

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001 19:27:30 +0200 (MEST), thomas anderson wrote:

> ** hi,
> **
> ** recently installed a firewall now ftp doesn't work (i.e. connection times
> ** out)...the line to allow ftp thru iptables doesn't seem to work:
> **
> ** $IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp ! --syn --source-port 20 --destination-port 1024
> ** :65535 -j ACCEPT

Isn't the syntax like this:

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp ...... ?

I never used $IPTABLES.

Then i think this line can't have any effect. How i know --source-port and
--destination-port are options from ipchains and will not work with iptables.

I have a super firewall. But iptables is also new for me. My suggestion:
Read man iptables. And you could try to delete the $ before IPTABLES. If you
have luck, then it will work.

And: you can look into /var/log/messages. There will all packages loged, that
are blocked from the firewall, if you insert this lines at end of your rules:

iptables -A INPUT -j LOG --log-prefix 'DROPOUT:'
iptables -A FORWARD -j LOG --logprefix 'DROPOUT:'
iptables -A OUTPUT -j LOG --logprefix 'DROPOUT:'

Whith this log infos you can very easy find out, which packeges and why can't
got through the firewall

Timo