[OT] Printing problems

Howdy folks,

I've been having this problem for a while now, but it's finally begun
to annoy me enough that I'm going to do something about it (or at
least ask someone here to help me with it;).  If it's caused by that I
think is causing it, then it's pretty OT, but I thought I'd give it a
go anyway.

I'm running a mixture of testing and unstable on my box, with CUPS
1.1.9.  The problem is printing with my Lexmark 4039 10R Plus laser
printer.  For most simple files, ie plain text, it prints just fine.
However, anything more complicated causes it to spontaneously fail.
The print job starts normally, with 'Busy' flashing on the machines
LCD, however it then fails (after a period of between five and
thirty-odd seconds) with the message (on the printer's screen)
'Flushing Buffer'.
I've set it up as normal PostScript printer (even though it's not
really; it just emulates it), using Lexmarks' 'official' PPD file.
My thought is that it is because the postscript generated by anything
more complicated than plain text is too big to fit into the printers'
paltry 2MB buffer.  Windows 98SE is perfectly happy printing to it,
however I don't know how to find out if windows is using PCL or PS to
communicate with it.  If this is the problem, is there some way to get
CUPS to compress/split/whatever the file so that I can actually print
properly?  Would I be better off with LPR/LPRng/something-else?

A longish session with Google turned up nothing along thses lines, so I
thought that maybe you peoples might have an idea.

(By the way, the reason that I didn't give up on this is because the
Printing-HOWTO says that this exact printer should be supported
perfectly.)