more fun with mutt, locale and perl

Hello.

I got the idea from reading the list traffic to use 8-bit ISO-8859-1
instead of 7-bit ascii, but my attempts have apparenly failed.  Perhaps
someone can set me on the right path with this.  I use mutt to read my
mail, with the default pager, not less, and constantly see weird
character representations.  By this I mean question marks for characters
with an umlaut, or other weird things like a slash followed by some
digits.  Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the locale thing completely.

in my .bashrc I have the following snippet:
	LANG=en_UK
	export LANG

Whilst trying to install a package, I got the following spew:
	perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        	LANGUAGE = (unset),
	        LC_ALL = (unset),
        	LANG = "en_UK"

I have scanned the various man pages for locale, but am just missing
something.  Is what I'm talking about more of a unicode thing, so
what I'm trying to do is in effect impossible?  On that note, where
does one find out what the options are for the above fields that Perl
wants set?  And how does the codepage option for kernel compilation
fit into this?

Thanks in advance,
Mike Pfleger

There's seventy brilliant people on earth.
Where are they hiding?
"Yashar" -Cabaret Voltaire (off of "2x45")