Re: Help! telnetd not working!

On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 10:56:03AM -0400, Aaron Traas wrote:
> I just installed debian on a new system today. Everything is working
> beautifully, except telnetd. I'm using xinetd (also tried inetd), and
> when I attempt to telnet to the machine, it sends me the contents of
> /etc/issue.net, and then eats up 99% CPU and just hangs. I don't know
> what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Which debian? testing??

I had a similar problem with testing, it was due to a buggy
telnetlogin program segfaulting:

run /usr/lib/telnetlogin and see if it segfaults.. then you'll know.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=telnetd

It is listed as resolved, but I don't think the fixed package has
made it into the apt distribution system yet, as I had to upgrade
it by hand (the horror! :) ).

HTH,
Bill