CD not bootable

Hi all

This must be a pretty standard question but I couldn'f find what I need.

I have the Debian 2.2 (Potato) CD's which were the source of quite a few
installation. In all those I could boot from the CD.

The present candidate, a Toshiba Satellite Laptop with Pentium 266 MMX,
refuses to boot from the CD. I made a rescue floppy from DOS usring rawrite2
which boots fine.

This is the quesiton: How do I install by making a minimum number of floppies?

Ideally this rescue CD should be suffiecient. The kernel in the rescue floppy
recognizes the CD. Can I give something like "linux root=...." so that the CD
will take control?

Cheers
Visvanath.