Re: latex docu

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 10:21:36PM +0100, Frank Zimmermann wrote:
> I'd like to learn LaTex. therefore I wnted to read the Latex docu
> under /usr/share/doc/texmf/general/latex2e.dvi.gz. Konqueror can't

According to xdvi's man page, it should be able to open this file
directly:
       If  a  file name is given (as opposed to a shell command),
       if that file name ends in ``.Z'', ``.gz'', or ``.bz2'' and
       if  the  first  two bytes of the file indicate that it was
       compressed with compress(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1)  respec­
       tively,  then  the  file is first uncompressed with uncom­
       press -c, gunzip -c, or bunzip2 -c, respectively.  This is
       preferred  over  using  a backtick to call the command di­
       rectly, since you do not have to specify  -allowshell  and
       since it allows for path searching.

However, this doesn't seem to work on my potato system.  So it would
seem that you need to copy the file elsewhere and uncompress it.  That
is a bit annoying, but you should just write a quick script to do it for
you.  It can't be that awful an idea; that's what 'man' does, after all.

Don't forget to read /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/sample2e.tex, too,
for some important latex examples.

noah