Re: Choosing a Debian Variant

On Friday, August 24, 2001 1:39 PM, crdic@yahoo.com wrote

> I can more easily revert back to my old kernel without a .deb, because
> the old kernel is still there, ready to be used. Whenever I build a
> kernel, I keep the old one around for a while
>
> Lastly, and most importantly, the resulting .deb did not modify
> lilo.conf and re-run lilo at install time, which is, for me, the single
> most dangerous and easy-to- forget thing about installing a new kernel.
> Without automating that, kernel-package was, in my view, useless. Now,
> granted, not everyone uses lilo.

For the kernel packages I have installed via apt, the installation
updates the symlink from /vmlinuz to reference the new kernel
image in /boot.  It modifies the /vmlinuz.old symlink to reference
the former kernel.  The LILO config doesn't require update
since the labels for /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old are Linux and
LinuxOLD respectively so the boot-with-former-kernel feature
comes for free.

Regards,
  -=greg