Re: in its place

	Subject: in its place
	Date: Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 09:00:15PM +0200

Quoting andrej hocevar(ah@siol.net):
> hello
>

> so you'll probably suggest to run fetchmail for the thing it's supposed to
> do -- retreiving mail. and reading it peacefully offline.
> next, is procmail the choice? or maybe using getmail?
> i've never used neither procmail nor getmail. nor have i used fetchmail in
> a combination with procmail or similar.
> what should i choose and how to make fetchmail/getmail work with procmail
> in order to sort my mail?
> is the option --mda really enough to do the job?
>
> nb: when trying to run fetchmailconf, i get this:

I will suggest what I have used for 3-4 years now, after expermenting
with other options.

1. Fetchmail to pull the mail from your ISP.

2. exim, and its .forward file, to transfer mail to your different
mailboxes.  Procmail would also work but I found the exim .forward a
bit easier to maintain.

3. Mutt as a mail reader.  ( Yes I tried pine)

As to your fetchmail problem.  Have you edited the .fetchmailrc in your
home directory?  This is what mine looks like:

.fetchmailrc
poll "20x.xxx.xxx.17" protocol pop3 username "user-name" password "passwd"
    smtphost localhost

I envoke that via a cron script like this
/usr/bin/fetchmail -K -F -a

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)
--
Why do we want intelligent terminals when there are so many stupid
users?