Re: DISPLAY and multiple ssh connections

On 24 Aug 2001 09:04:25 -0700, Jason Majors wrote:
> > > This wouldn't bother me too much, but the app that complains is vim.
> > > Not the gui version, the console version. I have version 5.8.007-4 instal
> > led
> > > of vim-rt and vim-gtk. I can't install just vim, because it conflicts with
> > > vim-gtk, which for the most part provides the console version.
> > > Is this a vim bug, or some special feature I'm unaware of?
> >
> > No...
> >
> > You can choose either console vim ( vim package )
> > or _both_ console and gtk (vim-gtk package)  This is done for people who
> > do
> > n't
> > want to install xlibraries just to use vim.
> >
> But why does the console call to vim check the DISPLAY variable? If I unset it,
> vim runs just fine.

Is there a command line switch to tell vim to not try and use the gtk
portions?  Emacs does a similar thing (tries to use X) to me if I forget
the -nw switch on it.  I'm guessing it's a default to try and be the
most resource hungry editor it can be ;>.

--mike