DISPLAY and multiple ssh connections

When I have multiple ssh connections to a server, it increments the
offset for the DISPLAY by one for each connection. When connecting through
my firewall using:
/usr/sbin/ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L $IP_REAL 22 -R $MAGNETO 22
the second and following connections cannot connect to the display.
Anybody know why?

Part Two:
This wouldn't bother me too much, but the app that complains is vim.
Not the gui version, the console version. I have version 5.8.007-4 installed
of vim-rt and vim-gtk. I can't install just vim, because it conflicts with
vim-gtk, which for the most part provides the console version.
Is this a vim bug, or some special feature I'm unaware of?

Thanks,
Jason