Re: play audio cd with normal user

Qmichiel  <qmichiel@xs4all.nl> writes:
q> I've got sound working for normal users and I can mount one of two
q> cdrom drives with normal users by using a link (/dev/cdrom ->
q> /dev/hdc) to it.  It's than mounted to /cdrom.  When I'm root I can
q> play a audio cd in /dev/hdc just by clicking on /cdrom

(IMHO, if you're using the words "root" and "clicking" in the same
sentence, you're doing something wrong.  Only become root temporarily
and when you absolutely need to.  I like 'sudo', which lets you run a
single command with root priviledges.)

q> (why this is I don't know) but when I'm a normal user I can't open
q> the cd anywhere.  And when I want to mount the cd I need to give
q> mount the type of filesystem and I don't know what the filesystem
q> is (it's a normal audio cd with .cda tracks).  I allready added the
q> user to the group of /dev/hd*

You can't mount audio CDs.  You also really don't want to add mortal
users to group 'disk', since that lets them read directly from your
hard drives and bypass normal access permissions with some
cleverness.  I would:

-- Change the group owner of your CD-ROM device to 'cdrom' (chgrp
   cdrom /dev/hdc).

-- Add users with permission to use the CD-ROM device to group cdrom.

Users will have permission after their next login.

	-- Abra Mitchell