Re: HELP: dpkg refuses to install my self compiled kernel??

Bruno Boettcher <bboett@erm1.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
BB> anyway i compiled that kernel also with make-kpg and wanted to install
BB> it but:
BB> dpkg: error processing kernel-image-2.4.9_Custom.1.00_i386.deb
BB> (--install):
BB>  failed in buffer_write(fd) (8, ret=-1 backend dpkg-deb during
BB>  `./lib/modules/2.4.9/kernel/fs/nfs/nfs.o'): No space left on device
BB>   kalman:/usr/src# df
BB>   Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
BB>   /dev/sda3               139976    124784      7963  95% /

BB> can't see where i miss some space?????

It looks like your root partition is full.  Since the kernel and all
of its modules need to install there, this is problematic.  You can
use a tool like 'du -x' to find out where space is being used.  Keep
in mind that space can be taken up by files which aren't visible; if
you have (sda3)/tmp/big-huge-file, you won't see it because /dev/sda7
is mounted on /tmp.  You might try shutting down to single-user mode
and unmounting everything besides your root directory if you're having
trouble finding what's taking up space.

	-- Abra Mitchell