Re: X11: double-click word delimiters

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 12:44:55PM +0200, Lukas Ruf wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> where and how can I configure the delimiters of what gets selected under
> X11v4 (fvwm) when I double-click on words?
>
> An example:
> http://www.nodeos.org -- double click on nodeos selects just nodeos but I
> would like that all enclosed by whitespace is selected.

although X provides the general mechanisms for making text selections,
the detailed specific behaviour is determined by the application, e.g.
the terminal emulators like xterm, rxvt, etc.

I'm not sure which application you are refering to, but assuming you
mean xterm, have a look at the manpage section "CHARACTER CLASSES" --
it's detailed enough :)
As another example, for rxvt (my preferred terminal emulator), you can
configure it at compile time, or - if you choose dynamic configuration
at compile time - also via Xresources or command line option. Do a

rxvt --help

which will show the available resources. If you see "cutchars" there,
you are lucky -- that's where you can specify the delimiting charset.

rxvt -h

should show something like "(.Xdefaults)", if you have dynamic config
via Xresources compiled in. In the source the relevant section is in
feature.h:

/*
 * Default separating chars for multiple-click selection
 * Space and tab are separate separating characters and are not settable
 */
#define CUTCHARS        "\"&'()*,;<=>?@[\\]^`{|}~"

/*
 * Add run-time support for changing the cutchars for double click selection
 */
#define CUTCHAR_RESOURCE

Just these two as examples. Other terminals or applications certainly
have their own different mechanisms. Someone else on the list might
know the details. Searching in the respective manpages or other docs
for "char", "delimit", "cut" or "select" might also point you to the
appropriate section... YMMV.

HTH

--
Erdmut Pfeifer
science+computing ag

-- Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut! --