Re: libao0, libao2: conflict, cannot dist-upgrade

Erik Steffl wrote:

>   there is a problem with libao2 trying to overwrite a library that
> libao0 also provides and no matter what I do it doesn't want to finish
> upgrading (or install/remove any packages), here's the error message I
> get when I do upgrade:
>
> Unpacking libao2 (from .../libao2_0.8.0-1_i386.deb) ...
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libao2_0.8.0-1_i386.deb
> (--unpack):
>  trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/ao/libalsa.so', which is also in package
> libao0

I got this too. I kludged my way out as follows:

1. I renamed all the files in /usr/lib/ao (there are only a few) to get
them out of the way. libalsa.so become libalsa0.so (etc.).

2. I installed libao2.

3. I quickly found that nothing involving libao worked. mpg321 wouldn't
run. Even ogg123, which I would have thought wanted the new libao2,
wouldn't run.

4. I renamed files in /usr/lib/ao to use the old libao0 versions instead
of the new libao2 ones. The new files became libalsa2.so (etc.), and the
old ones, which had been renamed libalsa0.so (etc.) in step 1, became
once again libalsa.so (etc.).

Now everything seems to work.

This is obviously not an ideal situation, but short of fixing the libao2
package, which I am not in a position to do, it gets the job done,
seemingly adequately.

I probably should have filed a bug against libao2, but I didn't.

Craig