Re: AW: ipmasq support in potato kernel

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 04:07:34PM +0200, Peter Palmreuther wrote:
> Hello Andreas,
>
> On Thursday, August 23, 2001 at 2:37:11 PM,
> you wrote (at least in part):
>
> > or does the standard kernel support masquerading?
>
> I've installed a Debian 2.2 (w/o 'r') shipped with kernel 2.2.17, am using
> this kernel and have installed a masquerading firewall, so the standard kernel
> coming with Debian should support it.
>
> I'm using package 'ipmasq' for starting / stopping firewall and I've not seen
> it loads a separated module for activating this functionality.

eh. This is just a guess, but I'm guessing that the ipmasq program
uses the standard firewall rules to do masquerading. Or you can do
a kernel compile and enable the module / option for masquerading in
the kernel. There shouldn't be any real difference between them,
other than with the kernel support a simple rule would do the job
without needing the ipmasq package, and might be slightly faster.

HT(random speculation)H, :)
Mike McGuire