Re: Apache & Perl

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 02:31:21AM -0500, Andy Laurence wrote:
> > > but whenever I reference a Perl script in the cgi-bin, I
> > get a 404 error.
> >
> > What do the error-logs for apache say???
>
> Aha!  'script not found or unable to stat: /usr/lib/cgi-bin/customcd.pl'
> This is a bit weird as everything in /etc/apache points to /var/www/cgi-bin.

not everything. the documentroot may be /var/www but if you look
for 'cgi-bin' you'll find stuff like

	Alias /cgi-bin /usr/lib/cgi-bin
	<Location /cgi-bin>
		SetHandler cgi-script
	</Location>
	# CGI Stuff rat chear
	<Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin>
		order allow,deny
		allow from all
		Options -Indexes +ExecCGI
	</Directory>

which translates any request for /cgi-bin/xyzpdq.ext into a file
lookup for /usr/lib/cgi-bin/xyzpdq.ext ...

note that you need
	options +execCGI
turned on for items you want apache to execute, and filesystem
permissions must also be set for executability as well (lest you
wind up with "file permissions deny access").

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #33 from Brian Potkin <brian@copernicus.demon.co.uk>
: