Re: ssh with putty.exe problems, is this normal?

On 21 Aug 2001 11:02:56 -0700, Mike Egglestone wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have read all over the web that most telnet and ssh connections
> that are slow, are due to DNS problems. (I don't imagine this the case for me,
> but you never know)
>
> Well, I sorta have that problem but not really.
> Here it is,
> When I reboot my windoze box and I receive an IP from my Linux box,
> which is acting as a firewall box to my cable modem, and then
> I try to ssh into the linux box, there is NO slowness.
>
> My windoze box:   10.0.0.80
>
> Debian:           eth0= 24.69.69.x
>                   eth1= 10.0.0.1
>
> But when I leave my win box on over night, wake up and right away
> try to ssh or telnet into the linux box, the connection is slow.
>  (I'm only refering to login slowness) once I'm logged in, its normal
> Sometimes, I can refresh my IP with "winipcfg" and then the ssh connection
> becomes fast again.
> Is this normal, since no activity is happening over night and something
> needs to kick start it?
> Bad nics?
> Everytime I reboot my windoze, everything is normal and fast again.

Sounds like you're swapping something to disk overnight that gets
swapped in the next morning.  Check your ps -aux before and after your
observed slowness and post the output if you want it dissected.  I don't
think it's anything to worry about.

--mike