Re: Framebuffer support in kernel

* Hall Stevenson <hallstevenson@mindspring.com> (2001-08-23 14:10):
> I've compiled framebuffer support into my kernel using the
> Matrox option. If I want support for this as soon as LILO is
> done, I can't compile it as a module, can I ?? They don't get
> loaded 'til a bit later...
>
> If I compile it directly in, which I've done at this point,
> I'm lost on how to configure LILO. I 'cloned' an entry in my
> lilo.conf file, one will use 'vga=ask' (that I'll use for
> non-framebuffer) and the other I want to use the option
> described in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/matroxfb.txt. It
> mentions a line similar to this:
>
> video=matrox:vesa:443
>
> (that's from memory...)
>
> When I add this to my lilo.conf file and run '/sbin/lilo -v',
> it complains about that particular entry.
>
> Is anyone using anything similar ?? Can anyone help ??

I used to use the matrox framebuffer with a g400, and the line I used
in lilo was:

append="video=matrox:vesa:410"

I can't remember what resolution it was, probably 1280x1024 or
something, but try it with 443 and see if it works.  I remember it was
never particularly clearly documented, it took me days of reading and
experimentation to get it right :)

Cheers,
Sean

--