Re: How to get a list of minimal Potato packages

on Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 03:36:38PM +1000, KenrickC@aap.com.au (KenrickC@aap.com.au) wrote:
> As far as I can tell, the most minimal Potato install occurs when
> selecting the 'advanced' install option, and then quitting dselect
> without installing anything.  What I want to know is, is there any
> easy way of telling what packages are installed at that point?
> Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a space machine to test it
> out on, so perhaps someone can point me in the right direction?

The minimal install is the base tarball itself.  About 30MB or
thereabouts.  Even this can be trimmed.

Running the following script against my 'stable' packages files, I find
99 packages in section 'base'.  Most of these are IIRC installed, though
not all are absolutely essential.

    grep -h -B 3 '^Section: base' *_stable_*_Packages |
	grep '^Package:' | awk '{print $2}' | sort -u

What's your specific need or goal?  There *are* micro-GNU/Linux
distributions out there fitting various goals.  Tom's Root/Boot and the
new LNX-BBC project are probably two of the best and best known.