Re: home firewall problems

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001 07:13:56 -0500 (CDT)
Gene Gallistel <gravalo@csd.uwm.edu> wrote:

>  i'm setting up a firewall for my home network and i'm having problems w/
> my network cards.
>
>  eth0 connects to the internal LAN w/ address 10.10.10.1
>  eth1 connects to my cable modem gets a dhcp address
>
>  the problem: if both cards are listed in /etc/network/interfaces eth1
> will error out on its configuration. this happens both at boot time
       ^^^^^^^^^
can you post some error messages etc.?

> network configuration and if i restart the networking service. eth0 will
> work fine and be able to communicate with all workstations on the
> internal network.
>  if i remove eth0's entry from the interfaces file and reboot eth1
> will work perfectly. this has been confusing me for the last few days, so
> if anyone has ideas i would really like to hear them.
>
>  below is a copy of my /etc/network/interfaces file:
>
> # The loopback interface
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> #eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> 	address 10.10.10.1
> 	netmask 255.255.255.0
> 	network 10.10.10.0
> 	broadcast 10.10.10.255
>
> # The first network card-this entry was created during the Debian installation
> iface eth1 inet dhcp

What does 'ifconfig' say? Are both interfaces listed or just one? Your problem
could be a simple interrupt conflict.

If both interfaces are listed, pls post the output of 'route -n', I noticed
you do not have a 'gateway' line in your interfaces file.

HTH, Stefan.