home firewall problems

 i'm setting up a firewall for my home network and i'm having problems w/
my network cards.

 eth0 connects to the internal LAN w/ address 10.10.10.1
 eth1 connects to my cable modem gets a dhcp address

 the problem: if both cards are listed in /etc/network/interfaces eth1
will error out on its configuration. this happens both at boot time
network configuration and if i restart the networking service. eth0 will
work fine and be able to communicate with all workstations on the
internal network.
 if i remove eth0's entry from the interfaces file and reboot eth1
will work perfectly. this has been confusing me for the last few days, so
if anyone has ideas i would really like to hear them.

 below is a copy of my /etc/network/interfaces file:

# The loopback interface
iface lo inet loopback

#eth0
iface eth0 inet static
	address 10.10.10.1
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 10.10.10.0
	broadcast 10.10.10.255

# The first network card-this entry was created during the Debian installation
iface eth1 inet dhcp