Re: glibc version

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 11:01:12PM -0700, John L. Fjellstad wrote:
> Are there different versions of libc available? What if you are using
> Woody (glibc 2.2), and need support for glibc2.1?
> I know you can do both libc5 and libc6 (glibc2.x), but can you do
> different versions of glibc? My understanding is that
> glibc2.1 and glibc2.2 broke binary compatibility.

You're thinking of glibc2.0 to glibc2.1, and even then it only broke
some programs that used undocumented interfaces to the library. glibc2.1
to glibc2.2 is perfectly fine; there are lots of packages in Debian that
haven't needed new uploads since glibc2.2 arrived and that still work,
and I've just spent the last day and a half testing proprietary code at
work that was compiled for glibc2.1 and running on glibc2.2 without any
problems.