Re: Debian install - How to create a 'floppy module' for Raid controller?

High,

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, JP Rignault - Smerwick Ltd. wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>

> I am trying to install Debian 2.2r3 on a new server with AMI
> Express 500 Raid controller.
>
> As the install program doesn't find any HDD, I am asked to
> "preload essential modules from a floppy", aka my Raid
> controller driver. I have ".c" and ".h" driver files for Linux.
>
> My question is : how to make such a "module floppy"?
> What should be found on such a floppy?

First you have to compile these modules using a 2.2.19 kernel. For this,
you need an installed Linux distro. Then format a floppy with ext2 fs,
copy the compiled module (.o) to it and start the installation.

Do not use the module floppy option, but switch to the second console and
activate it. Mount the floppy and do an ordinary 'insmod /floppy/raid.o'.
When loaded succesfully you can continue the installation on the first
console. After the drivers have been installed you can copye the module to
/target/lib/modules/2.2.19/scsi/ or something.

Note that if you install Linux on this raid, it should probably be
compiled in the kernel and not as module, but I am not sure.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan