Re: sshd

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 12:57:57PM -0400, Titus Barik wrote:
| On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Titus Barik wrote:
|
| > On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Titus Barik wrote:
| >
| > I take that back.. seems I have ipchains running.
| >

| I apologize for the multiple posts. In my haste, I said that ipchains
| was running. What I should have said is that when I look at dselect, the
| ipchains package is installed. I do not know how to tell if it is
| running. I also installed telnetd, with the same problem (connections to
| my machine are refused). So I assume it is not a problem with my ssh
| configuration (which is default). Any guidance is appreciated.

I suggest you read the IPCHAINS-howto (on linuxdoc.org).  It is very
informative and explains a lot about packet filtering (firewalling).

ipchains isn't a running service, but rather a tool to adjust the
kernel's packet filtering tables.  You can see what the current rules
are using the command

    ipchains -L

Post that output here and someone (probably even me ;-)) will decipher
it for you and tell you why you can't make any connections.  BTW, do
you have the 'ipmasq' package installed?

-D