Re: sshd

Check your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny to see if connections from your client are explicitly allowed.  Also, see if your package of ssh has tcp_wrappers compiled in (they like to do that around here), in which case you'll need to explicitly allow hosts.

As previously mentioned, try ssh -v -v -v <hostname> to get some pretty serious debugging output and see what occurs.

-Wes