latest in my struggle to set-up a debian box for the first time

Here's the run down on what has happened so far...

Installed Potato onto a Dell Inspiron 3000 laptop using the CD's.  After a
few miscues on disk partitioning, I got a good install (note: this is a
debian-only box. No other OS on it).  I got into X and have the
Enlightenment manager running things.  Tried to run Netscape, since it was
listed on the menu options and nothing happened.  Come to find out, Netscape
wasn't loaded.  I then got some good advice on downloading Galeon from the
net.  After, again, a few miscues (syntax is everything) I was able to run
the following:

apt-get update
apt-get install galeon

The updates downloaded and galeon downloaded and installed. During
installation, however, the install program asked about locale-gen and
mentioned something about this proably affecting 8-bit fonts (or something
close to that). Being new to the game, all I felt I could do was take the
default suggestion.  Galeon completed its install and even came up running,
except that the fonts were all screwed up.  I tried to look at the
locale-gen file using one of the gnome text editors, and the fonts were
screwed up there as well.   So, I rebooted (seemed logical at the time).
Now, I boot up into linux and login on the text screen.  I try to run
'startx' and it says 'command not found'.  I got a suggestion to run
'/usr/sbin/locale-gen' and did.  That action did something, but I still
cannot run 'startx'.

One other problem, I was trying to run balsa before all of the above
occured. I could send email out, but the program temporarily locked
everything up when it tried to get mail (I sent myself a test email).  I
know that the email was sent, because I got it on my MS box when I checked
there.

My goal is to get mail and browser running first.  Then I plan on
downloading StarOffice so that I have a functional word processor.  Oh, and
I hope to get this done with unfortunately limited time at the computer
within the next 5 or 6 days.

Thanks for all who have helped so far. i've learned much in the last few
days. I'm quite rusty on unix (been 12 years since I've seen it) but I've
made a commitment to switch away from M$ as much as I can.

James A. Hilsenteger
hilsy@dsl-only.net

(reply to the list or use the above address for reply, I'm at work on a
different network during the day today, thanks)

NOTICE:  This communication may contain privileged or other confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please advise the sender by reply email and immediately delete
the message and any attachments without copying or disclosing the contents.  Thank you.