Re: Potato to woody problem

Thanks dman for you response on this issue.  ...   But, ...
(I'm in the process of learning about this now - would you please
help me out?)

--- dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 10:38:07AM -0400, Brian Schramm wrote:
> | I changed the references in my apt/sources.list to point to woody.
> |
> | I then did a
> | apt-get update
> | apt-get install apt-utils debconf
> | apt-get dist-upgrade
> |
> | When I did the apt-get install apt-utils debconf it told me to type Yes,
> | do as I say! to upgrade the pearl system.  I did that and now I keep
> | getting a perl: error while loading shared libraries: libdb.so.3
> |
> | How do I get by this?
>
> The correct solution to this is to
>
>     apt-get install libdb2
>
> since that package provides libdb.so.3.

1. Are you _sure_ installing the libdb2 package  ___that W/testing
currently points to___  will solve this problem?
I think this problem has existed for several weeks,
and no package that could fix it would be in W/t yet.
(It would still be in unstable, if even there as of now.)

See, for instance, the replies to:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200108/msg01318.html

> (A quick search on packages.debian.org shows that)

I did not get that result.  My search for libdb.so.3 yielded:
Debian package contents search results
FILE                                                       PACKAGE
lib/libdb.so.3                                              base/libc6
usr/lib/debug/libdb.so.3                                    devel/libc6-dbg

So, shouldn't it be libc6 is the package, not libdb2?

Thanks for your effort.  I'm in the process of learning about packages now.
Would you please provide me some clarification on these two points?
Your input on this mattter is greatly appreciated!  :)