X Lockups & other problems

Hi,

I've got a problem with X hanging up when I drag windows around.

System: P200, Matrox Mystique card
Software: sid, X 4.1.0, 2.2.19 kernel, KDE 2.2.2 or wmaker

X will randomly (doesn't happen all the time) hang up if I move a
window around the screen. Or, more correctly, X stops responding
to mouse and keyboard input, I cannot Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill X,
I cannot Ctrl-Alt-F1 to bring up a terminal.

I can ssh in, however, I've tried killing all the X processes and
haven't been able to get the thing to recover.

Even stranger, if I reboot the system X will not respond to the
keyboard at the kde login prompt (kdm?). However, I can pop up
the menu with the mouse and restart the X server and then it will
respond to the keyboard and I can continue using the system as
before. (Hey, there is a thought, I'll try another keyboard on the
thing)

Have one more strange problem, vertical lines (like window edges)
are all wavy and distorted onscreen. I've got my proper monitor
timings in the config file (and I know they're right cause they were a
little conservative before and when I fixed them X came up at a
better refresh rate). Also happens in both window managers (so it
isn't a theme :-P)

Had neither problem with X 3.3.6 so the obvious answer is to
downgrade, however I'd rather not do that if I can find a solution.

So the questions:

1) Any ideas?

2) What processes can I kill remotely to maybe get it to recover
without rebooting?

3) If I'm gonna give up and downgrade, any suggestions - tips -
tricks to watch for?

TIA
Chris Cothrun