Re: libc6 downgraded; system won't boot

You can manually install the lib files. Boot your machine
from a rescue disc or the installation disk, get to a
command prompt, and mount your hard drive. You can then
extract the contents of the libc6_2.2.3-11_i386.deb file
with the following command:

    ar x libc6*.deb

It will unpack three files. Move data.tar.gz to your hard
drives root (/) and unzip and untar it. That should install
the libraries. You should now be able to boot your machine,
at which point you can use dpkg to install the deb file
officially.