Problems with JDBC and PostgreSQL

Hello,
    I've a lot of problems using JDBC with IBM JDK 1.3.1 on PostgreSQL
(version 6.5.3) in Potato(stable).
Java VM tells me that it can load postgresql.Driver (PostgreSQL's JDBC
driver); I supposed I made  a mistake in my source so I tried basic.java
PG sample (it shows how to use JDBC with PG) but the problems was the
same.
So... what I have to do? (I didn't configured PostgreSQL, my
configuration is Debian's configuration)

Thanks,
    Max

P.S: postgresql.jar 's path is in my CLASSPATH enviroment variable