Re: creating updated debs

On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 11:59:30PM -0600, Cameron Matheson wrote:
> I find that on the occasion a package or library that I need becomes
> outdated.  Lately, I've begun to install those packages from source, but
> that tends to be a bad solution, because then I can't install any
> packages that are dependant on the program i just compiled.  Anyway, I
> was thinking about what I could do about this, and I came up w/ an idea
> that I thought i would run by you guys, to see if anyone knew if this
> would/would not work.
>
> I was thinking I would get the latest sources for the package (take the
> SDL for example), and then make a debian package out of it named
> libsd1.2.  After i install this w/ dpkg, will I be able to install the
> games/libs/etc that depend on the SDL?

It's possible, but is very difficult for libraries. You have to make
sure that your build is compatible with that produced by the Debian SDL
maintainer. In practice you're better off trying to backport the changes
in unstable to whatever distribution you're currently running; if there
are no changes in unstable, then file a wishlist bug.