Re: monitor with alphabetic-soup.

on Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 09:34:55AM +0200, A.E. Roy (ae.roy@organizer.net) wrote:

> ...when I turned it on, the machine seemed fine, but the monitor
> didn't display any image, it was on on indicated by the blinking
> standby.

If the monitor is Green Star rated (power saving features), these are
triggered by vsync and hsync signals.  Lack of one, the other, or both,
pushes the monitor to blank, standbye, or power-off modes.

> ...then after xxx tries it suddenly worked.

Sounds like flaky hardware.

> So I got myself into the BIOS, reset the factory default, didn't help,
> even had this alphabet-soup in the bios!!!

Swap your monitor and/or video cards (both if possible) and isolate the
problem to one or the other.  Consider the possibility of a bad monitor
cable.