Re: IOMEGA ZIP-100 / ZIP-250 -- banging my head against the wall

On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 12:12:03AM +0100, Sean Quinlan wrote:
> * Phil Edwards <pedwards@disaster.jaj.com> (2001-08-17 23:50):
> > I'm not subscribed -- haven't needed help yet, Debian is that good :-) --
> > so please cc me on replies.
>
> Done, I'd suggest sending all replies to this mail to the list as well as myself,
> as you'll reach a much larger audience :)

Definitely.  :-)

> > Quick version:  after perusing the archives of this list, I found my
> > ZIP-250 drive (hdd) and tried mounting a plain ZIP-100 disk with 'mount
> > -t vfat /dev/hdd4 /mnt/point'.  I got the 'bad superblock, no such fs,
> > or something else' error message that others have reported.
>
> I presume from the above that your zip drive is connected to the
> second channel of your second IDE controller?
>
> Are you able to mount any zip250 disks?  If so, do you use the same
> mount command?

Yes, haven't tried, and probably, in that order.

> You could try "cfdisk /dev/hdd" to see the partitions, maybe this disk
> doesn't have /dev/hdd4 as its partition.  By default, the 4th
> partition is used (anyone know why that is?), but maybe its been
> repartitioned or something.

Good idea:

[~]# cfdisk -Ps /dev/hdd
Partition Table for /dev/hdd

            First    Last
 # Type     Sector   Sector   Offset  Length   Filesystem Type (ID)   Flags
-- ------- -------- --------- ------ --------- ---------------------- ---------
 4 Primary        0   196607      32   196608  FAT16 (06)             Boot (80)
[~]#

I've never heard why they come with slice 4 as the active partition.

> There is an option for specifying a block size when mounting, you
> could try the option "blocksize=1024".  Your mount command would look
> like this:
>
> mount -t vfat -o blocksize=1024 /dev/hdd4 /mnt/point

I tried this just now, still no joy.  I am seeing something with hdd4 that
I don't see with any other device name, however, regardless of mount options:

    [~]# mount .... /dev/hdd4 /mnt/point
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd4,
           or too many mounted file systems
->         (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
->         ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
    [~]#

There's nothing special about this IDE controller, it's just an onboard
controller from a plain Dell mobo.  I tried sr0 and sda, they failed
(not surprisingly).

> > That can't be the right conclusion -- I was running the same 2.2.19 kernel
> > under RH7 that I'm running now under Debian, built from stock sources.
>
> Are you using the exact same kernel (ie. copied the kernel from the
> Redhat /boot to the Debian /boot), or are you using the same kernel
> revision, but you went through the menuconfig or xconfig seperately.

No but no.  :-)  I kept the .config file resulting from the kernel build
with me, to seed the configuration.  So it's not the same image file,
but it is the same configuration.

> If so, you might want to check the Zip-Drive mini-howto (should be under
> /usr/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/mini), and make sure that you have all the
> relevant kernel options for IDE zip drives (I have a SCSI zip myself,
> so Linux just treats it as another fixed disk).

I think I do, but I'll check tonight.

Thanks,
Phil

--
Would I had phrases that are not known, utterances that are strange, in
new language that has not been used, free from repetition, not an utterance