Re: Anyone using IMP to check their debian.list mail?

* Mike Egglestone (megglestone@heritage.sd57.bc.ca) [010803 10:58]:
> Hi..
> I was just wondering....
> becuase when I send an email to
> debian-user@lists.debian.org
>
> The email obviously, gets sent to me....
> but when using IMP to see the message from the "INBOX"
> it says the email is from "To: debian-user@lists.debian.org"
> (it should say my name or email address should't it?)
>
> but when I click on the email... to read it....
> it says it was from me...which is normal...
>
> When you receive this email... does it say that its from "Mike Egglestone"
> or "To: debian-user@lists.debian.org"   ?
>
> When I recieve emails from the list...
> The "INBOX" shows that the emails are from the original senders...
> which is normal...
>
> I hope I'm making sense....:)
> Just wondering if this is normal for IMP, or if I have a problem with
> my configuration...
>
> I'm using IMP 2.2.3, with exim and imap
> I have also tried this with outlook,imap... and I think
> that worked just fine...
>

> thanks
> Mike

Hi Mike,

I have a guess as to what you may be talking about and also as to why it
may be happening. First, though, I'm going to be snotty and suggest that
with all the ellipses in your email it reads like you've left out
two-thirds of the question.

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/marks/ellipsis.htm

What I guess is probably happening is that IMP knows what your email
address is, and when a message in the index is from you, it shows who
it's to instead of who it's from. This is useful when viewing an outbox
or a sent-mail folder, for example. In the case of mailing lists, since
the message is from you and to someone else (debian-user@lists.d.o, in
particular) IMP shows who you sent it to.

NB: This is only my guess; I haven't used IMP myself.

Cheers,

--
Vineet                                   http://www.anti-dmca.org
Unauthorized use of this .sig may constitute violation of US law.