Re: Netscape as root, sndconfig

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Brian Nelson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 12:46:18PM +1000, Tony Bartholomaeus wrote:
> > The 'holier than thou' attitude of the person who posted the above is
> > disappointing, especially since he is apparrently quite knowledgable and
> > could have just answered my question. The annoying thing to me about this
[...]
> "Holier than thou" attitude?  I think it's the best possible advice
> you could have gotten.  There are some really good reasons why you

Indeed. I have to agree, do not run such stuff as root. Ever.  Use sudo/su-,
and xauth (if needed) to run just what you need as root.

> "holier than thou," you really don't have a clue what you're doing if
> you feel the need to do normal user stuff as root.  Consider Karsten's

I'm afraid I will have to agree with this as well. Take that advice to
heart, "holier than thou" attitude or not. If you think you _need_ to run
stuff like netscape as root, you clearly do not know enough about the issue,
OR you are misjudging the risks.

On that topic, someone should take their time to track down and shot in the
head whomever had the marvelous idea of suggesting people to login as root
in gdm/xdm. Now I need to brainwash an entire team of former-windows-admins
to never ever do it again in my daytime job...  where is that
refuse-to-run-gtk/qt-apps-as-root patch again?

  Henrique Holschuh