Re: Netscape as root, sndconfig

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 12:46:18PM +1000, Tony Bartholomaeus wrote:
> > >To me, the most annoying thing about this thread is that if the
> > >original poster could READ he'd haver quickly found out how to run
> > >netscape as root, and wouldn't have had to trouble the list at all.
>
> For the record, I am coding a personal website, the output from which I need
> to view/test using netscape (and other browsers). I also need to view
> manuals and such in HTML format. My computer is offline, and although it
> could be argued that being logged in as root can be dangerous at any time, I
> am well aware of the risks, and find that they are outweighed by the
> convenience of unrestricted access. (NB I would not adopt this attitude on
> anyone else's computer/network...)
>
> The 'holier than thou' attitude of the person who posted the above is
> disappointing, especially since he is apparrently quite knowledgable and
> could have just answered my question. The annoying thing to me about this
> thread is that it really only needed to contain 2 or 3 messages, my original
> question and the replies which addressed (and solved... thanks guys!) the
> problem.

"Holier than thou" attitude?  I think it's the best possible advice
you could have gotten.  There are some really good reasons why you
can't run netscape as root by default.  At the risk of sounding
"holier than thou," you really don't have a clue what you're doing if
you feel the need to do normal user stuff as root.  Consider Karsten's
advice before bitching about it.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>