Re: dot-square font in E after dist-upgrade

> > I have TrueType fonts installed by hand and a
> > 'custom' fonts.alias file for them. I point to their
> > location in my XF86Config-4 file and TT fonts
> > work just fine, without 'xfs'.
>
> Right, because XFree86 4.x includes Truetype font
> support ... 3.x needed a font server to handle TT.
>
> However, I am using xfs because I want to install
> all the Truetype fonts once and let other machines
> get them via the fontserver ... if you try xfs again I'll
> be happy to compare configs.

I recall that 'apt-cache show xfs' mentioned it was used for
other displays. I've no need for that so that's another reason
to drop 'xfs'.

Regarding the xfs config, *I* didn't change anything. It got
borked after an 'apt-get upgrade'. I've played with my
/etc/X11/fs/config file before, but it was only to change the
default-resolution entry or possibly the order of the
'catalouge' entry. I do appreciate the offer for help though.

On a somewhat related note, why does the
/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc file specify '--100 dpi' ?? If I
remove the 100dpi font package, does this file get updated ??
If so, to what ??

Regards
Hall