Re: dot-square font in E after dist-upgrade

> In xmms, and Enlightenment menus, there is a
> prob with the font which renders each character
> as a square, made of dots.
>
> I know that all the font packages were updated,
> and update-font-alias was run in each font directory.

Same thing happened to myself... I saw various suggestions at
fixing the problem, most of them involving 'xfs'. The most
'popular' ideas was moving the 'unix://7100' line in
XF86Config-4 to the end of the fonts section. Removing/purging
'xfs' and re-installing it was also suggested. Neither worked
for me, nor did a variety of other things I tried.

In the end, I removed and purged 'xfs'. I also removed all the
font packages and re-installed only xfonts-base, xfonts-75dpi,
and *possibly* xfonts-scalable (I'd have to check later this
afternoon). This did fix the problem for me. Removing the
100dpi font package also fixed the problem I ran into with
apps having very large fonts.

I have TrueType fonts installed by hand and a 'custom'
fonts.alias file for them. I point to their location in my
XF86Config-4 file and TT fonts work just fine, without 'xfs'.

Good luck
Hall