Re: Disaster Recovery files

hi ya patrick

you should copy the entire /etc directory.... its typically 50K in etc.tgz
format .. put it on floppy !

sicne there are other files ( /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow that you already
missed .... that you might wnt to keep...else you'd have to ask everybody
to recreate their passwds and userid, gid, etc..etc..

you should also confirm if you have other config files in
/var and/or /usr/local/....
	- diff apps puts stuff in diff directories

i always ave the .config and than make menuconfig if in console mode
to make sure the links are properly setup ... than make the new kernel

you should also keep a log of all the debian packages you d/l and
installed

"for firewall duties"... there should NOT be ppp config setup...
as ppp is insecure.... ( login/passwd in clear text ) and anybody
can login from anywhere... ??

a firewall should only have "ipchains" running... and add libs
and other binaries as needed so that ipchains and the kernel...
	- obviously we all do the otehr way...
	- install a base and remove stuff...remove everything
	and break stuff and fix it...than keep going till you
	are tired of breaking and fixing things...

c ya
alvin
http://www.Linux-Sec.net