Re: Netscape as root, sndconfig

on Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 08:25:07AM -0400, Hall Stevenson (hallstevenson@mindspring.com) wrote:

> > hmmm, not the most useful answer I have ever seen, edit the file
> > /etc/netscape4/config and either uncomment the line which says
> > ALLOW_ROOT=yes or add it to the config file.
> >
> > Again:  don't run it as root.
>
> Again, he asked *how* to do it. He didn't ask for people's opinions on
> whether or not he should. It's his business if he's runs it as root.
> It's his system.

If he needs to run it as root and fully understands the risks he can
explore the system on his own and figure it out.

Given the context of his post, I felt the better response was to advise,
strongly, against the activity.

d-u isn't strictly a "how do I do foo" list.  It's also a "try bar
instead" and "doing foo can really screw yourself over".