Latex stops working (TeX Live installation/Sid)

Last night there were three or four power outages on this island, in
the middle of a storm.  Afterward, latex doesn't work.  I have
recently upgraded by apt-get dist-upgrade, and wonder whether the
problem is due to an upgraded library.  The error messages given by
LaTeX are as follows (with apologies for mangled linebreaks or long
lines):

I am clueless.  May I request assistance from some TeX guru w/ Debian?
I use TeX Live rather then tetex.  TeX Live is derived from tetex, and
it has worked flawlessly for three years, through three incarnations.
This installation is an up to date TeX Live.

> adavis@electra:~/PROJ/SCHOOL/BIOLOGY$ latex pretest.tex
> kpsewhich: error while loading shared libraries: kpsewhich: undefined symbol: atexit
> kpsewhich: error while loading shared libraries: kpsewhich: undefined symbol: atexit
> kpsewhich: error while loading shared libraries: kpsewhich: undefined symbol: atexit
> kpsewhich: error while loading shared libraries: kpsewhich: undefined symbol: atexit
> kpsewhich: error while loading shared libraries: kpsewhich: undefined symbol: atexit
> kpsewhich: error while loading shared libraries: kpsewhich: undefined symbol: atexit
> kpsewhich: error while loading shared libraries: kpsewhich: undefined symbol: atexit
> kpsewhich: error while loading shared libraries: kpsewhich: undefined symbol: atexit
> kpsewhich: error while loading shared libraries: kpsewhich: undefined symbol: atexit
> kpsewhich: error while loading shared libraries: kpsewhich: undefined symbol: atexit
> kpsewhich: error while loading shared libraries: kpsewhich: undefined symbol: atexit
> kpsewhich: error while loading shared libraries: kpsewhich: undefined symbol: atexit
> fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
> tex: error while loading shared libraries: tex: undefined symbol: atexit
> adavis@electra:~/PROJ/SCHOOL/BIOLOGY$

fmtutil and fmtutil.cnf are there, but without kpsewhich, they are not
seen?  Is that it?

Thank you,

Alan Davis

--
adavis@saipan.com                                      1-670-235-6580
    Alan E. Davis,  PMB 30, Box 10006, Saipan, MP 96950-8906, CNMI

 I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free, so as to give up any
 hypothesis, however much beloved -- and I cannot resist forming one on
 every subject -- as soon as facts are shown to be opposed to it.
                                  -- Charles Darwin (1809-1882)