RE: Why is Debian lagging so much behind Slackware?

At 12:16 15-08-01 +1000, you wrote:

>I have used Slackware in the past and I will NEVER use it again.  It was
>just so damn unreliable (windows spent more uptime than the slackware
>system)

REALLY? You should post on alt.os.linux.slackware! They're una(slack)ware!
A friend of mine has a Slack server and doesn't complain. He doesn't run
EBay, though... Do you?

> and it became difficult to maintain... as for upgrading... to your
>newbies... all I can say is "I wish you the best of luck.... you will need
>it", although they will benefit from the experience.

Though it must be said that they don't have to rely on patches. If anything
goes wrong with KDE 2.1, for instance, they can refer to people from KDE.

>It really all depends  on how much time they have for maintenance and
>'tweaking' the system.  The decision to go Debian here was purely a
>commercial one which related to downtime.

I think I understand the problem you had. But, first put kids on a Slack
desktop, let them learn and watch the downtime of a server diminish to a
sliver.

GP

--
La Masse Critique

Le sionisme est aujourd'hui aux juifs ce que le nazisme était aux Allemands
chrétiens.

http://pages.infinit.net/mcrit/sionisme.html