Re: Why is Debian lagging so much behind Slackware?

> How the hell is Volkerding and his small pack managing to put out Slack 8
> with XFree86 4.1.0, kernel 2.4.5, KDE 2.1.2, GNOME 1.4, glibc 2.2.3,
> Mozilla, Galeon, Nautilus, ProFTPD, OpenSSH, OpenSSL, mod_ssl, mod_php...
> and all the usual utilities, hardly 3 months after Mandrake rushed out
> their broken down distro? Has anybody heard that Slackware isn't safe : ) ?

Does slackware have 5000 packages? Is it as well tested, and stable as a
Debian release? Does slackware support 10 architectures (like woody
will, and potato supported 6)? Can you upgrade a previous slackware
distribution easily to the current system or do you hope and pray, or
just wipe your system and install fresh?

You are comparing apples and oranges. Just because other dists are
releasing bleeding edge, doesn't make them any better (let's not forget
RedHat 7 and it's pre-release glibc and canabalized gcc-2.96). We prefer
to release stable systems, rather than try to flash version numbers of
some high visibility software.

Ben