Re: Modem isn't working

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 08:49:09PM -0300, Rui wrote:
| Hi people,
|
| I need some help. I've been installed debian "potato" on my computer
| but modem isn't working.
|
| I'd like to connect to the internet.
| Does anyone can help me?
| My modem is conected in com3 it's a UsRobotics 33600
| I've already created a link (/dev/modem -> /dev/ttyS2)
| I've already download wvdial but it couldn't find the modem.
| Can anyone help me how to configure this modem.

apt-get install minicom

minicom is a nice little communications program you can use to see
what you modem is doing and how your ISP reacts to a connection.  Use
minicom to see if your modem really is on /dev/ttyS2.  If you don't
get anything when you start minicom, try again with /dev/ttyS1 or
/dev/ttyS0.  You should get an 'OK' back from the modem right when
minicom starts.  If wvdial isn't finding your modem then the modem is
probably on a different device file or it is a winmodem.

-D