Re: jdk 1.3

On Tuesday 14 August 2001 09:48, Paul Mackinney wrote:
> Question: dselect wants to install something to give me Java VM to go
> with jikes (e.g., kaffe, jdk1.1). Should I just override this and
> install jikes by itself? Is there a graceful way to tell dselect that
> Java VM is already installed?

The easiest way may be to install one of the dummy packages:

  shiznit[2]% apt-cache search java|grep dummy
  java-compiler-dummy - Dummy Java compiler
  java-virtual-machine-dummy - Dummy Java virtual machine

These packages don't install any new software, they just satisfy
dependencies.  They were made for exactly the situation you are facing.

Try 'apt-get install java-virtual-machine-dummy'.  I expect this will
sate jike's longing for a JVM on your system.

Let us know how it works -
Aaron