Re: Cable Modem/NIC cards

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 10:05:47PM +0700, Angus D Madden wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 09:21:47AM -0500, T.Phan wrote:
> >   Is there a way to soft reset the cable modem and the NIC on
> >   a Debian/Linux box?
> >
> >   The AT&T Cable Modem some time loses connection, sometime it
> >   resets itself.  Afterward, the Debian box will no longer be
> >   able to establish the connection until the debian box and
> >   the cable modem are shutdown and reboot.
> >
> >   Any suggestion on how to avoid the shutdown/reboot ? Thank
> >   in advance!
>
> have you tried:
>
> /etc/init.d/networking restart
>
> that should reconfigure the network interfaces.  if that doesn't work,
> the cable modem may have picked up new routes and i'm not sure how to
> clear those.  i'm sure it's possible though.

Cable modems don't pick up routes ... they are layer 2 devices (I've
some 4 years experience in the cable modem arena :)  CMs are also
quite user-unfriendly as far as user management goes ... they are
intended to work as a "black box".  You'd need to know the IP address
and SNMP community string before you could attempt any management, and
even then you don't have as many options as you would with a DSL
"modem".

What brand of NIC and cable modem? Generally a reset of the cable
modem should suffice, though if you're picking up your IP via DHCP you
most likely need to restart networking after the cable modem restarts.
However, it really shouldn't be necessary to restart the cable modem.

To me this sounds like a fairly serious problem with the cable in your
area.  I know it's not fun dealing with tech support, but you need to
complain regularly about this until AT&T does something about the
problem.  They won't fix it if no one is complaining.

Good luck,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.