Re: Cable Modem on Linux

W. Paul Mills muttered:

> I use the Linksys. It is actually a 4-port switch with a built in
> firewall and router, and a port for connection to your cable modem.
> Seems to work pretty well for me on roadrunner.
>
> Paul

Here's another vote for Linksys. I've got the router-only version, works
great. One _can_ hobble something together with just a hub, but this is
a bad idea for reasons pointed out elsewhere in this thread. Either buy
the second ethernet card for your Linux box, or buy the hardware router.

I've run a Linux router with a 16 MB 486 and a pair of 3c509s, gave it
up when my RH6.2 system got hacked repeatedly. I didn't have time to
learn how to secure it so I switched to the Linksys (should have just
switched to debian :-), but this is the way to go if you want to learn
how to harden your system.

Paul
--
Paul Mackinney