Re: kernel 2.4.x in potato?

    >> So, can I upgrade my kernel to 2.4.? Has anybody taken a newly
    >> installed potato system and just upgraded the kernel to 2.4?
    >> What headaches are in my future?

    Wayne> I changed 4 boxen to 2.4.x.  No worries.

    Wayne> Add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list # Use these for
    Wayne> kernel 2.4 update to Potato deb
    Wayne> http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian potato main

    Wayne> then run apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

    Wayne> I use the kernels from ftp.us.kernel.org so don't recall if
    Wayne> you get the kernel source with the upgrade or not.  If not
    Wayne> you will have to install the source & header packages.

    Wayne> I don't recall any headaches at all.  Do get the latest
    Wayne> kernel tho.  2.4.7 is running fine here.  -- A bug in the
    Wayne> code is worth two in the documentation.

Thank you Wayne. It was indeed as easy as you said it would be. It
took me two tries (forgot to include vfat the first time), but the
apt-get and make-kpkg utilities sure make this a lot easier than it
used to be in RedHat!

--

Robert Koss, Ph.D.     | Training, Mentoring, Contract Development
Senior Consultant      | Object Oriented Design, C++, Java