Re: kernel 2.4.x in potato?

	Subject: kernel 2.4.x in potato?
	Date: Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 09:53:12AM -0400

Quoting Bob Koss(koss@objectmentor.com):

> I'm still trying to get my OnStream tape driving working in Debian. I
> was mistaken when I said that the driver was in the kernel. The driver
> doesn't appear until 2.4.  The kernel patches from OnStream are only
> for 2.2.14 and 2.2.16. I'm running potato with 2.2.19.
>
> So, can I upgrade my kernel to 2.4.? Has anybody taken a newly
> installed potato system and just upgraded the kernel to 2.4? What
> headaches are in my future?

I changed 4 boxen to 2.4.x.  No worries.

Add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list
# Use these for kernel 2.4 update to Potato
deb http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian potato main

then run
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade

I use the kernels from ftp.us.kernel.org so don't recall if you
get the kernel source with the upgrade or not.  If not you will have
to install the source & header packages.

I don't recall any headaches at all.  Do get the latest kernel tho.
2.4.7 is running fine here.
--
A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation.