Re: hard drive problems... misconfiguration?

> it is a good idea to visit the manufacturers' site. download an utility
> and test the drive for errors. seagate and western digital have pretty
> good utilities that run off a floppy after you boot using a dos bootdisk.

Thanks for all the replies, I've downloaded a drive testing program from
Fujitsu's site, and found an error identified by a cryptic error code,
and instructions to send it to the manufacturer for fixing. I've sent
off a mail requesting more info on what this failure actually is... but
unlike GNU/Linux support, Fujitsu Support doesn't function on Sundays.
It's wait and see...

Thanks everyone,
Hugo van der Merwe
--
To send me private (non-world-readable) mail, GPG encrypt it.
1024D/60715698: 5F2E 8EC2 E0A4 5D25 0569  F281 4A6C D76D 6071 5698